Tool Chest Completed

rps20161030_144659_184Nice to have this part completed. Got the lid panel finish planed then mitered and glued the edging on the front (FYI, the edging is thicker than the top panel so it lips over the carcass about 3/8″ to create a seal). For the cross grain edging on the ends I only glued about 4″ of the front part at the miter, then secured the back with a square cut nail to allow the panel to move with changes in humidity…stained to match the rest of the chest and I’m done! I have been working out of the chest for the past year, but nice to have the last bit buttoned up to protect my tools from the dust and humidity in the shop.

Put A Lid On It…

20161016_1825111I realize I may be jumping the gun here…having only been working out of the toolchest for the past year, but I’ve thrown all caution to the wind and started working on the lid. This afternoon I cut all the boards for the lid, cut the molding that will lip over the sides of the chest, and cut the tongues and grooves that will provide the mechanical connection between the lid and the molded edge.

I got as far as a dry fit of the parts before supper, as seen here mocked up on the chest:20161016_1702531Next step is to glue up the panel and clean up with the smoothing plane, then attach the edge molding and trim to final width. Toodles…