Disston No.7 Tune Up

The last set of saw files I had bought for an earlier rehab didn’t impress, so before I turned my attention to my new-to-me Disston, I had decided to find a better saw file. I had read a lot of disappointing reviews of Nicholson saw files, but one maker that consistently received positive reviews was Swedish toolmaker, Bahco. Given that my lineage is of Swedish descent, coupled with all the positive comments, it made my decision a no-brainer. My initial stop was Ebay, but while prices for a 7″ slim taper file were certainly attractive, the shipping prices were not. A search online led me to http://www.industrial-tools.ca. File prices were on par with Ebay, and shipping was reasonable. Even better I would have them in my sweaty little palms in 3 days via UPS.

The saw plate as I said in my previous post was in excellent condition as far as tooth shape and straightness. I gave the teeth a light jointing to bring them all to the same height, which only took a couple swipes with an 8″ file, and then made a pass with the saw file to eliminate the flats created in the jointing process. The greatest attention this saw needed was setting the teeth…it would bind in the cut within just a few strokes. 20150927_100206[1]I set the dial on my saw set to the number 8 setting and started at the heel on one side setting every second tooth. When I reached the toe I reversed the saw and set the alternate teeth. My saw set has a plastic magnifier to aid with the setting process. Today I removed the magnifier, and found it made an immediate improvement. I would suggest that of you have one of these sets, and find the magnifier somewhat less than helpful, to remove it. It may work better for you…or not.20150927_102205[1]20150927_101353[1]Once that was completed I put a scrap piece of pine in the bench vise and found the saw cutting 100% better already with just the teeth set. Now on to the sharpening process…I clamped up the saw in the vise and made 2 passes with the saw file on each tooth keeping equal pressure on the file each stroke, working from heel to toe. Here is a shot of the finished teeth set and sharpened:20150927_111419[1]After a quick test run the saw cuts great…ready for the zombie apocalypse!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s