Tool Chest Hardware

The other day I added some hardware to the chest, specifically iron handles and corners. I already had a small box with a set of iron chest handles which I had bought from Lee Valley several years ago. Since I didn’t really use the box for much of anything,  I decided to re-purpose the handles and installed them on the tool chest. Once installed I lifted one end and realized how much this thing really weighs…Wow!20150822_124713_resizedThe other thing I wanted for the chest was a set of metal corners to install at the bottom corners of the skirt to protect against damage. Of course, after scouring the internet and coming up empty handed I realized that there is apparently no need for these, as nobody sells them…so, off to eBay we go. I found a set of 7 cast iron antique box corners (one has to wonder about the eighth…) and jumped on it. Once I received them I sprayed them black to match the handles and installed them with brass slotted screws. 20150822_124619_resized20150822_124840_resizedI like these as they have a raised rib which will provide a pretty good measure of protection…and they seem to go well with the overall theme of the chest. Still gotta get to the lid at some point…20150822_124549_resized

Stanley No.141 Plow Irons

20150807_192223[1]In my previous post I had bought a Stanley No.141 Plow, based on the Miller’s Patent pattern planes…sans irons. I spent some time poking around on Ebay a bit looking for a set of irons to no avail, unless you want to drop $300-500 on a set. Lie Nielsen is currently working on their plow plane which is based on the Miller’s Patent pattern, so once this is released to the masses I may pick up a set of LN replacement irons…but in the meantime I started thinking about how I could fabricate a set of irons, and decided to use the 1/4″ iron from my Stanley No.45 to experiment with. Irons from the Miller’s Patent Planes, unlike the No45, rely on a groove down the center of the iron to register them to the plane body. After some thought I came up with a plan to make said groove:20150807_192550[1]I picked up a couple of Dremel cut-off wheels and arbor and chucked it in the drill press, then clamped a batten across the table to guide the iron against…some experimentation required to get the depth correct. Ensure you feed the iron to the right of the wheel so it doesn’t turn into flying shrapnel and slowly push the iron into the wheel, letting the tool do the work. I had to make a couple of passes to get the width correct…the correct thickness wheel would solve that.20150807_195940[1]The final step was to cut the top 3/8″ off the iron to eliminate the notch for the No.45 adjuster, and shorten the iron enough to fit the No.141. Of course I will have to visit Ebay now to pick up another 1/4″ iron to keep my set complete now that I have forever modified this one. Here is the finished iron sharpened and ready to work:20150807_194927[1]And of course the resulting curlies…20150807_154853[1]