So I am back at the dovetail project today…our good friends hijacked LOML and whisked her off to the city to do some shopping, so I had some shop time on my hands. First of all it was frikken cold this morning so I was out to the shop at 7am putting on a fire in the woodstove. By the time our friends arrived to pick up Kimmy at 9:30am the shop was starting to warm up to the point that I could start where I left off last time, so I decided to lay out and cut the pins for the other side of the box, as the tails were already cut. Now, I don’t know if it was a bad day or I just couldn’t get my Chi on or WTF…but I cut the joints three times and still wasn’t satisfied with the damn thing. I started looking at the way I cut my dovetails…I have ALWAYS cut them tails first vs. pins first, being very adamant that this was the best way to do it, but I was getting desperate. I took two scraps and laid out the pins first (l felt the need to look over my shoulder at this point, I am a bit of a slave to my ridiculous notions about such things), and cut just outside my layout lines, and chopped out the waste and pared to the lines with the chisel. Glancing over my hypocritical shoulder again, I grabbed the other piece of scrap, set the end of the freshly cut pinboard on top of it and grabbed the pencil and transferred the location of the pins to the tailboard. “Hmmm…this is easier to mark than the usual way”…and using my dovetail marker, transferred those lines down the side of the tailboard from the end. I grabbed my dovetail saw and cut the tails out, cutting to my lines as much as possible, and chopped out the waste with a chisel. The moment of truth…slid right together with a few light taps of the hand right off the saw… just like butter. Frack! Here we go, straight down the metaphorical rabbit hole again…the earth is no longer flat, we ARE in space, another can of worms vaporized into the atmosphere to drift eternally in near-earth orbit…
Suck it up Princess.
Sooo…grabbed the two pieces I had previously dovetailed and set them aside (straight into the woodstove of course…hide the evidence) and cut some new parts and started from the beginning…again. Here are the results of my traitorous afternoon:
Box sides all glued up and starting to clean up the joints with the plane…looks promising!After planing was completed…Almost forgot…half blinds on the back of the box.Next I decided to finish the rest of the dovetailed parts, the feet. These are thinner than the rest of the box parts, at 1/2″ thick. I remembered to take a couple pics of the process:The box and the feet all dovetailed:Next time I will cut out the design on the feet and cut and shape the bottom of the box…then it will begin to look like something. FYI, if you look back a couple of posts you can see the drawing of the box and see what the feet will look like. They are just rectangular right now for the sake of cutting the joints. What looks like gaps in the dovetails on the pieces for the feet are just penciled out layout lines, they won’t be glued and planed until after the design is cut out on them. So all in all it was a good day in the shop, despite the revelations. Thanks T & R and LOML for the shop time!